Standing on a corner of old sunken roads close by the churchyard in the village of Uffington, this tiny and unusual museum has an interesting history. It is housed in the schoolroom that featured in Thomas Hughes’ book ‘Tom Brown’s School Days’ which was commissioned by Thomas Saunders in 1617.
The Museum explains the history and archaeology of the area, including the world-famous Uffington White Horse, illustrates the village’s connections with Thomas Hughes and his famous books, and also the time that the late poet laureate, Sir John Betjeman, spent living in Uffington with his family. It continues to record the changes in village life through the decades. Part of the Museum is arranged to show how it would have appeared when operating as a school in Victorian times.
Each year we have a special Exhibition to explain one aspect of Uffington’s history.
Researching family history?
The Museum has acquired many artefacts, documents, photographs, books, maps, records and press cuttings that relate to Uffington.